Monday, November 5, 2012

Public Enemy

People do things we don't like. People do things and act in ways we don't approve of. They wear outfits we find to be distasteful and listen to music that is unartistic and some that's actually scary. These are are facts of life. Odds are everyday someone posts something on a social media site you disagree with. But guess what, you're not always right; and neither is the other person. However, most of the things that upset us so highly on a personal level, aren't based on right/wrong, they're based on opinion. Personal preference. It's like arguing which is better between Pepsi and Coke. There's no CORRECT answer. You** may be overwhelmingly convinced your choice is better, and that's fine, but that doesn't make the other person wrong.

Lots of people talk about this, and talk about not judging others, but FEW live by these words. It difficult, really difficult. It's a subject of life that is so incredibly vast that we don't even realize when we're passing words or thoughts about someone in a negative sense. Pump the breaks, you're not the almighty, know-all. A great example of this, right now, is politics. Without getting TOO deep into the topic, lets use a couple of easy examples...

"I'm a republican."
"We'll that's dumb, how could you ever think that's better"
"Well, I'm pro-life, prefer a strong Christian influence, and want to push power to the people and away from government aid."

THOSE ARE ALL OPINIONS. They're not right or wrong. If you disagree with those choices, that's FINE, but if doesn't make one of you right or wrong. That's one example that references the present. (Go Vote tomorrow).

Another one I see, that really bothers me, is fashion. "It's summer, take your jacket off." "You're inside, take off your vest." Why are you SO worried about what someone else is wearing or doing? Of they're not harming you or someone else, why care? People today are so concerned with forcing their thoughts and opinions on others. Well your opinions aren't "correct". They're also not "incorrect", they're just opinions. Subjective thoughts based on personal bias.

We should embrace differences. It's what separates us. Makes us unique. I don't want to be a carbon copy robot with all the same likes and interests. Difference in people allows you to learn and grow from each other!

In music, genres are constantly bashing other genres. It's awful. I've never heard a painter slam on a sculptor. Understand we're all different. We all have different backgrounds, life experiences, and life goals.

All I'm asking is that we as a race slow down and appreciate what we and everyone else has to offer. Everyone out there has a lesson to teach and many to learn. Everyone is unique and different. We're all our own book, our own feature film, novel or abstract piece. We all have something unique to offer, that no one else has. Share it with the world, and equally as important, learn what others have to offer. We are forever students in the journey of life. And we all know a class, a trip, a journey, is much more enjoyable when we can Laugh, Learn, Love and Live.

1 comment:

  1. So true about judging. "You learn something new every day." I was once told is so true. I am an abstract painter that's me and was bashed by a realist so called great artist one time. Even a bashing is a learning experience. It made me stronger to be myself and to not be like that person towards other artists. Music same way different types of music. Learning from others I take a negative and turn it into a positive. Encourage others to create music, art, poetry etc. To create something from nothing I call divine spark, inventing. I laugh have a good time at work and home and life . Life is to short to be a negative person. I savor each day as a gift. To live my life as me an no one else and not worry about what others think of me. To help people in a positive way to Love, Live, Breath, and it all positive. Thanks Josh I can relate to what you wrote I wrote much about this as poems describing my life living in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete