Saturday, November 17, 2012

Clay Brains

I spend a great deal of my time wandering. thinking. dreaming. and as i do think, i think about an endless amount of "stuff". some of these things are crucial to my well-being and very existence, and some of these things are baked goods. it's an infinite amount of random thoughts i've, throughout my life, allowed my brain to always entertain, no matter what. some of this time is spent about my blog - and i've decided to make a few changes. for example, i don't care about capital letters, lol. also, i'm going to post fewer and more in depth posts, some that may be very personal to me. so, with that out of the way, lets get to the current post.
the other day, i went for a walk, crossing the brooklyn bridge headed into manhattan. for those who have never made this mile long excursion, it's absolutely gorgeous. while on this walk, my thoughts and conversation carried to how i and we all, got where we are today; not in terms of career or achievements specifically, but as people. i began thinking about, what if i had kids, would they be like me? would they like the same things? would they be absolute heathens? the conversation was long and very in depth, my favorite kind. it really had me thinking about my childhood, and how early i began taking shape.
my mind goes a billion miles a minute, i have so many likes and interests that it's often difficult for my friends to mingle or converse because they actually have nothing in common. i have so many crazy sides and i began to wonder why this is and how early i began showing signs of this. then it dawned on me, at a very young age, i wanted to try everything. i had many interests, but the part of my life that truly DEVELOPED this extremely large portion of who i am, is my parents support. for as long as i can literally remember, my parents not only supported WHATEVER i wanted to do, then encouraged me and did all they could to help me, all they asked was that i tried my best. if i wanted to be a boy scout, play football, freestyle wrestle, partake in Youth in Government, tee ball, student council, jazz band, marching band, concert band, choir, it didn't matter, my parents did all they could to make it happen.
my parents divorced when i was just five. it wasn't life ending or excruciating to me, especially at the time. i didn't really know what was happening, other than i had to look after my little brother early on. as with many divorce cases, money was tight. extremely tight. my mom worked two jobs and my dad is STILL at the same factory position after 35 years!!! the point i'm making is, we didn't have money. i didn't get to do it all because we were rich. my parents scrimped and scraped to TRY to allow me to keep up with every kid in the world. they did all they could and more to ensure i had the best opportunity possible. i didn't have a rich aunt or grandma, i had a family, who were middle class AT BEST that loved and supported me.
20 years later, not much has changed. my dad is still at the factory. my parents both work and "get by" and they still love me and support me in every one of my insane, crazy ideas. they've never once told me i couldn't do something (as far as goals and dreams go). they taught me that with a strong, loving family and a hard work ethic, dreams can come true. shut up and work. i'm sorry for all the people out there who don't have it easy, i wish it was easy for everyone. but it's not. but that doesn't mean you CAN'T. it means it's going to be hard. you're going to sweat, cry, bleed, probably throw up and at times, damn near go hungry. DON'T EVER GIVE UP. if you want something bad enough, you'll make it happen.
i'd really like people to take a couple things from this...
-Parents, support your children. i was a hellion, ALWAYS wanting to do something new, always on the go... embrace your children's dreams, do all you can to show your love and support. not just in money, in love, in hugs, kisses, be there. they need you. they'll realize it someday.
-kids/teens, don't ever stop dreaming. listen to your parents once in a while, and develop a work ethic early on. if i could tell every kid in the world to do three things, they would be Love, dreams, and work. you'll never be unhappy with your life. people of ALL ages. Love will keep you strong and humble, your dreams will keep you motivated, hungry and hopeful, and hard work will achieve those dreams.
i really hope some people benefit from this. and i really want to thank my parents for everything. i'd have never gotten this far without you. YOU taught me anything is possible. you taught me to dream and to work, and you ALWAYS made sure i remembered to Laugh, Learn, Love, and Live.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more...

    I homeschool my kids, ages 12, 8, and 4; and they know they have my unwavering love and support no matter what...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And our "family motto" is Live, Love, Laugh, Learn.

    One of these days, I'd love to get that represented in a tattoo somehow...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you for putting these thoughts into words. I know that isn't an easy thing to do. It shows your character and honesty as a person. We don't know each other but I took something away from this post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! My parents divorced when I was a toddler, so I have no memories of them being together. I rarely saw my father and my mother was (and still is) a bar fly. I would stay at home at a young age without a babysitter so she could go out with my aunt. I am the first person in my entire family to receive a bachelor's degree. College was never even brought up by my family members; it was unheard of. I paid every cent without help from family. What wasn't covered by financial aid, was paid by me. I had to work 3 jobs at one point just to keep up with school bills. The amount of debt I now have is ridiculous, but I am so proud to be where I am now. Sometimes I feel guilty, because friends and family constantly ask to borrow money from me and usually I don't get paid back. I am SICK and TIRED of hearing people's excuses for why they don't try harder. Don't blame the economy or your parents for your own failures.

    I am so glad you have always had your parent's support. I have always felt like the black sheep for valuing education and wanting to make something of myself.

    ReplyDelete